Thursday, December 5, 2013

Story of getting Andy a stander pt 2

I'm stuffing puffs in Andy's mouth as I type in hopes of him letting me have a few minutes to write this up. Starting yesterday, at around 4pm when waking from his nap, he's been screaming. Not for a particular reason, except he wants to be held. Mommy can only do so much holding!

I called the health insurance company to verify what steps needed to be taken to acquire a stander since our insurance became active today. What do I do with the prescription from the doctor? How do I submit for a medical review?

I'm told to contact the in-network provider I was given, and to give them the prescription. Called the company and they don't sell standers. During this, I received a voicemail saying the prescription is ready. Have I mentioned what a great team of doctors we have on our side? His orthopedic doctor is going on vacation for 3 weeks and she made sure it was ready.

I called the insurance company again. (This is call #3 for those counting) and this time I'm told that I should read the prescription to them when I obtain it, that's how the medical review process works. Once that's done, they will provide me with more providers. I drove out to Utica, and called to submit the review from my car in the parking lot. It will take 3 business days. I should hear back on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

If not approved, I confirmed there was an appeal process.

I'm nervous because instead of stating cerebral palsy as the diagnosis requiring the stander, the diagnosis code his doctor provided was for hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. This is the initial cause of everything that's involved with Andy's condition.

Here is a link if you would like to learn more about hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/973501-overview

No comments:

Post a Comment