Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Withdrawal symptoms

My son has been on the medication Phenobarbital since the day after he was born. And it has been quite the experience, a baby on narcotics.

He was asleep for the first week of his life, never having the energy to open his eyes. Then never being able to be awake for a feeding a week after that.

We have watched his development be stalled for the last 6 months. There are moments of sorrow, pity and guilt. The guilt is what will kill you.

What would I ask of those who hear my story?

  1. Do not ask why I picked the hospital I did to deliver.
  2. Do not mention that you already heard bad stories of that place, and look with those eyes that I should have known better. Think to yourself that you should have been a better family member/friend and told me while I was pregnant.
  3. Do not complain of any healthy or society standard "normal" issue your baby has had to deal with. Such as circumcision or shots, or even trying to get them to sleep through the night.
Now as he is being weaned off his medication we continue to watch his suffering. He is constantly fussy. He is uncomfortable. He can not sleep because his body is having withdrawals.

 It's nice if your child is developing "early" or "ahead", but remember to be thankful they are developing at all as some can't because of the obstacles in their path.


1 comment:

  1. I hope your little man starts doing better as he is weaned off the meds, he sure is an adorable little boy! It must be hard on all of you, but keep your head up, because you have him for a reason and he has you to protect and care for him!

    ReplyDelete