Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 30- I fought Bellevue and I won

Some may know the battle I've had with Bellevue. From a lack of communication with clinic neurologists, to record release issues from moving. How difficult it is to reach anyone who speaks English. 

In March, with a new neurologist, I needed his MRI images. Bellevue ignored the request. Then on April 19th, a new MRI was taken showing no signs of brain damage. A more aggressive approach was taken by attending neurologists at Albany medical center for the previous MRI images. Then my neurologist finally received a disc. It had chest x-rays. 

We still have no MRI brain images. I'm going to NYC tomorrow, and thought I could just pick them up. I called Bellevue this morning to ensure it went smoothly. I was told after I signed the form it would take 10 days for the disc to be mailed. My son's rare form of epilepsy depending on those scans was not enough. 

I was ready to storm the castle. I took out my proverbial sword, and searched. I scanned through NYC public hospitals, and found the patients rights form. Andy's rights had clearly been violated. #15 to be exact. There was a number for the department of patient advocacy, for questions or concerns and to submit a formal complaint. And access to the state health department to take it further. 

I called the number and explained with examples why his rights were being violated despite their protocol. How exceptions are valid and a necessity for him to receive critical care. Like magic, she told me she needed to make a phone call for me and would call back. Less than 10 minutes later I'm informed to bring proof he is my son (birth certificate) and my ID and the disc will be ready for pick up on Friday. 

Never accept an answer that does not work for you. Every contract can be broken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment