Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 7

I woke up at 5:30, and made it to the hospital by 6. I'm informed that Andy had a seizure, different than the spasm seizures, and he was given medication for it.
The video shows him sticking out his tongue and making feeding cues in his sleep. I'm told that he was also making a bicycle movement with his left leg, and arm motions.
Two hours later a resident comes in and tells me after watching the video that it was not a seizure. And an EEG would not show evidence of the seizure that has already occurred.
At 11am an anesthesiologist comes in with consent forms for the spinal tap. I find out it will be a "senior resident" doing the procedure. I felt fear in my heart, but I'm not the type to punish a person for someone else's actions. Then I find out Andy weighs 17lbs. He's gained 8oz since Friday.

After the tap I find out they had to try 3 times and there was blood in the sample. If another is needed, Dr. Pugh (his neurologist) will do it himself.

Dr. Pugh confirms that the video proves Andy did not have a seizure. He admits and owns up to his mistake. He was described something different than the video. He had brought 3 residents with him, and requested that I play the other videos for him. I proudly showed every video with seizure activity. I believe that if one of those residents can recognize and help even one baby having infantile spasms, it was worth my time.

We won't find out any tests results for a while, and the echocardiogram was norm. On Wednesday I can take Andy for more blood work and genetic testing. Being sleepy from the emergency medication means he needs to stay in the hospital but can go home in the morning as long as he is eating properly. He keeps waking to feed but sleeps the rest of the day away. Now he is napping in my arms, and is dreaming of seeing daddy tomorrow night.

The Ronald McDonald house has been extremely generous and informed me I can stay there with Andy, so we are in no rush waiting for Daddy to get out of work.

He is still having spasms today when awake;however, Dr. Pugh says that as of right now he does not believe Andy will need injections and we should see results with the current medications.

1 comment:

  1. Your are a great mother and a better person. I am proud of you

    ReplyDelete