Friday, April 19, 2013

Day 4 - into the hospital


I'm a new person. I'm filled with hope and faith. Let me tell you what happened.

This morning was spent running around, packing final items and holding Andy more. He had no seizures. We arrive at the hospital, he's cranky and sweaty. 

EEG time. Daddy holds him, and we work together as a team. Andy does everything right on time, he's upset when it starts and has his first seizure of the day. Perfect. Then he drinks his bottle and falls asleep. Perfect again. The woman doing the EEG calls the doctor, asks him to come in while we are hooked up. He enters the room, he has already analyzed the EEG as it was being recorded.

Andy is officially diagnosed with infantile spasms. We have a plan. We go and have a more traditional sit down appointment with the doctor, and he sets our expectations for the hospital stay. We agree. 

After being settled into the room with Andy's new crib, I ask a nurse about us both staying the night. It's okay, but one of us has to sleep sitting up. Ben books a motel room for us, for the two nights he's here. It's distressing, because it is a shared room. Then I call to check the Ronald McDonald house. They have a room for us. Suddenly, my patience has returned.

The anesthesiologist and radiologists shock everyone and are ready to do his MRI scans tonight. 5pm. When our little man goes for those, we check into the house. Everyone is so kind, our room is beautiful, there is everything we could ever need.... From plenty of food, to game rooms and a laundry room. Dinner is hot and sitting out for us to help ourselves. I'm brought to tears with appreciation. 

We return when Andy is in recovery. He is awake, but groggy. It reminds me of when he was a newborn. I hold him and give him a bottle. Oh how I love my baby. He's having lots of seizures but now hooked o monitors and an IV. We go back to the ro, daddy helps feed him, and give his medicine. Double the seizure medicine dose. He falls asleep in my arms.

We walked back to the house, then sat on the porch watching the rain fall and exchanging war stories with veteran parents on the porch. All is calm, and no one can predict tomorrow. Our kids are strong and we will be stronger for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment